Re: 300 baud V.21 terminal emulation

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: 300 baud V.21 terminal emulation
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 16:48:32 -0500

On 04/02/2013 04:38 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/02/2013 05:24 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
When copying a command into the IDE/GUI terminal that has a lot of non
alpha-numeric characters such as parentheses and brackets, the
processing is really slow. Something like this:

qtinputdlg ({"Einstein:","Newton:","Planck:"}, "Most General Example",
[1 7; 1 11; 1 20], {"E = m c^2","F = G m1 m2 / r^2","B = 2 h v^3 / (c^2
(e^(h v/(k T)) - 1))"})

takes several seconds to process. A stream of text zips in up to the
closing bracket, then stops for a half second. Then another stream of
text until a bracket is encountered. Etc.

Copying into a shell command line is speedy in the most recent source.
However, I think I've seen a similar sort of thing even when not running
the GUI on a version from a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone know why that is happening?

There are a couple of possibilities. One is a bug in readline that we've
discussed before. It's been fixed in the readline sources, and a patch
is available, but I don't think there is a released version of readline
with the fix quite yet. A new readline and bash should be happening
relatively soon though.

However, the bug in readline would affect all text if there is a
readline event hook installed. So if you are seeing the problem only
when there are parens or brackets, then maybe it is a delay while
readline does paren and bracket matching?

What happens if you put

set blink-matching-paren off

in your ~/.inputrc file and restart Octave?

Last message was a button accident...

I've added that line so that my .inputrc looks like:

# Tab completion interferes with text copy input.
TAB: ""
C-TAB: complete
set blink-matching-paren off

and now the GUI command line copy zips right along.  No visible delays.

I've taken out the line you suggested and it is back to being very slow inside the GUI yet still fast from the shell command line. I didn't need to launch a new shell terminal to notice the effect.

Dan