Re: Test failure for fftfilt.m

From: Ed Meyer
Subject: Re: Test failure for fftfilt.m
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 21:51:08 -0700

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18 March 2013 01:05, Ed Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I could put a patch up but for some reason other patches I've put up
> don't get applied so there is something I don't understand about the
> process.

Sorry, something might have just gotten lost or forgotten in the way.
Which patches of yours have gone unapplied?

Besides the patch for 37297 there is one for 34461 and 34634.  The first two mainly deal
with test tolerances.  34634 adds the ability to read a mat file with undocumented data
types for names which is readable by ML.
The test tolerance issue has come up several times in the short time I've been on the
mail list; I believe that instead of simply increasing the tolerances, tests should be
written to reflect the theoretical error bounds, which always involve some measure
of the data or solution.  As I've said before, don't take my word for it, see e.g.
Golub & VanLoan or most any numerical methods text like Forsythe & Moler :-)

--
Ed Meyer