Re: Communicating with GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Communicating with GUI
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:46:16 -0400

On 04/08/2013 12:34 PM, Rik wrote:

There was a note on the Maintainer's list about this, but somewhere in the
abundant series of changes in the last week the communication between the
pager and the GUI has regressed.

I'm now back to the ancient behavior where if I use a command like 'help
ver' the GUI displays the first screenful of information and then waits for
a prompt.  But the keystroke for continuing paging needs to be entered in
the original shell window that launched the Octave GUI rather than in the
GUI itself.  Actually, it seems that the keystroke is captured by the GUI
but I have to hit<ENTER>  in the shell window.  This behavior is with
changeset 16467:cc9e2751e073.  I could do an hg bisect if you want, but
perhaps you have an idea about where the problem lies.

That's my fault. I commented out the call to dissociate_terminal at some point because the fork makes using gdb hard. Then I accidentally checked it in as part of another change. We really need a better fix for this problem other than fork+setsid, but I don't know how to do it.