Re: eliminating GUI event listener class

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: eliminating GUI event listener class
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 13:07:33 -0400

On 04/08/2013 12:58 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 04/08/2013 11:49 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 04/08/2013 11:23 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
The only thing we are using the event listener object for is to
handle cleaning up the GUI when we exit from Octave. I tried to
switch that to using signals and slots but was not successful.

Something else I should say. I do think that the event listener isn't
necessary. That is, most everything I can think of on the GUI side can
be event driven by signals.

Yes, I'd like to remove it.

However, going the other direction is a
different issue. I think things that go to the Octave thread have to be
queued in almost all cases. The issue there is that Octave can be busy
for a long time and waiting for a response from the Octave thread should
be avoided.

Right, I'm not trying to eliminate the queuing requests for Octave to
perform some action.  Currently, I think we are only performing those
actions when readline is waiting for input, but we might be able to
perform some actions at other points.

Maybe you have some other idea in mind?