Re: Regarding Numerical Project at Octave

From: Carlo De Falco
Subject: Re: Regarding Numerical Project at Octave
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:06:06 +0000

On 11 Apr 2013, at 19:26, Umang Gupta <address@hidden>
 wrote:

> Carlo,
> I had already wrote some lines about it on octave maintainers list
> (http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Gsoc-2013-Numerical-td4651539.html) But
> I got no response. Hence I wrote you and Nir separate mails. I want to know
> more about the project.

Umang,

All info on proposed projects can be found here:

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas

feel free to propose your own idea if you one you like better.
I also just added instructions on how to apply for GSoC here:

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Your_steps_to_apply

As a general comment, when preparing your application I'd recommend avoiding
too bold
statements like:

"General purpose Finite Element library and PDE solver: I have very little idea
about algorithms for PDE and finite elements. But I think I can read them and
with your help understand them quickly."

It usually take two full semesters for a master's student majoring in
computational mathematics
to get started with these topics, it's hard to believe you'd be able to catch
up before GSoC if you're starting from scratch.

best wishes,
c.