Re: Behavior for the file browser window

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Behavior for the file browser window
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:03:02 -0400

On 04/07/2013 12:22 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 07.04.2013 17:18, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/07/2013 06:19 AM, Torsten wrote:

I think it was not intended that entering a new directory or using th
"up"-button does not change the octave directory.

I'm fairly sure it was intended, because that's what I tried to make it
do with one of my recent changes.  :-)

If navigating in the file browser is supposed to change Octave's
current working directory every time a new directory is opened for
browsing, then I don't see the point of having both the file browser
and the text entry box for the current directory.  Why not just have
the file browser?

With both you have the possibility to close the file browser and still
have the combo box for seeing and changeing the actual directory.

There are other possible interfaces.  For example, the "current
directory" text box could be eliminated and we could have just the file
browser, which could be collapsed to show just the current directory,
but not closed.

Whatever we do, I think it should be possible to browse the filesystem
without changing Octave's current working directory.  This behavior can
be optional, but it should be possible.

Nice idea to make the behavior configurable. I will prepare a patch.

After this changeset:

  changeset:   16499:facf00ce97d3
  user:        Torsten <address@hidden>
  date:        Thu Apr 11 19:01:55 2013 +0200
summary: gui: configurable synchronization between file browser and octave directory

the initial directory for the file browser is my home directory
instead of the directory I am in when I start Octave.  Was that change
intentional?  Even if the location in the file browser is not tracking
Octave's current directory, I think it would be better to have the
initial file browser directory be the same as Octave's initial
directory.