Re: Passing variables up to the GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Passing variables up to the GUI
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:30:33 -0400

On 04/12/2013 08:43 PM, John Donoghue wrote:
Just a general question/observation/what will it take since I havent dug
much into the depth of the octave engine.

Currently, in GUI land, the workspace-model is receiving notification of
variables in scope via the set_workspace slot.
The variables are in string/stringlist format by this point, and are
pretty much just input as is to the model.

If we want to do things like the ability of specifying additional
columns to display (min, max, avg etc??), the lower level will have to
provide additional strings that are always being sent up to the GUI with
the values as strings, unless we change how it is currently doing it

So how hard would it be (or whats the best/safest way) of being able to
provide the variables up to the GUI where a amount of manipulation can
be done?

I initially tried to pass a reference to a symbol_record object, or a list of them, but couldn't make it work because including symtab.h in the octave-qt-link.h file caused trouble.