Re: Passing variables up to the GUI

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Passing variables up to the GUI
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:31:24 -0500

On 04/12/2013 08:40 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/12/2013 09:00 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

For example, I see John just added a new feature for renaming variables
in the workspace from the GUI workspace window. That is a nice feature.
However, it's done via callback, when it could be done with a command

"z = x; clear x;"

for example.

If you send commands like this back to the interpreter, I think
Octave's behavior will seem unreliable and confusing to many users.
For example, what happens for the above command sequence if there is a
a variable called "clear" in the top-level workspace? Users will
expect the buttons on the GUI to always work. Telling them, "if you
want the GUI to work correctly, then don't define variables with the
same names as the Octave commands that the GUI uses" doesn't seem very
good to me.

There is no requirement that such a function behave exactly as the interpreter that the user has. As with the "corefeval" I proposed the other day, it is that underlying builtin code that is what the GUI has interest in. So, the commands that go from the GUI's internal access bypass that first level of indirection that otherwise would be M-script overrides, variable overrides, etc. Neither would these commands appear in the history list. The best way to describe "corefeval" is that builtins cannot be overriden.

Dan