Re: GSoC 2013 QtHandles project

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: GSoC 2013 QtHandles project
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:04:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Kirill Fuior <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all,

I want to write code for Octave as a part of GSoC 2013, and I want to try QtHandles project for it.
Briefly: I have sufficient programming experience, some related to this task experience, but almost no experience with Octave.
There are more details in Application template:
http://wiki.octave.org/User:K_Fuior

If all this it is acceptable for you:
1. Where could I find more details about project and what can/should be done?

I think the primary goals should be:
- add support for printing
- integrate QtHandles into octave source tree
- continue work on UI support (uicontrol, uimenu...)

2. Could you give me some starting point for investigation? What code or documentation should I read? Maybe, some bug or task I can do?

The first thing you should try to do is to compile and run it. You need the compile octave from default branch, and QtHandles from its git repository [1]. When compiling octave, you need to enable atomic refcount (see ./configure --help). Once you've compiled it, you can either run octave from its GUI, or use the octave-qt utility inside tool/ subdir. The reason for that utility is that you need a QApplication object; when using the GUI, it's already there.

3. Something else?

Get familiar with QtHandles, try to use it, see how it works. Try to dive into the code to understand its internal. For the UI aspects, I would suggest to use some existing app. I've found mirone [2] to be a challenging testing ground.

Michael.

[1] https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles
[2] https://code.google.com/p/mirone/