Re: Passing variables up to the GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Passing variables up to the GUI
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:43:11 -0400

On 04/13/2013 03:29 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

The situation we are running into with the GUI is that the worker thread
is the one with delay. I tried this the other night with John's
workspace-variable-name-change feature. I set Octave to running a
two-minute command, then altered the name of the variable. The variable
name did not change upon hitting return. Upon Octave core finishing,
then the name of the variable mysteriously changed (i.e., my short term
memory doesn't work more beyond a minute). I don't think that is
unreasonable. Octave commands have to remain sequential; to do otherwise
would really get to be tricky programming.

Yes, but what commands are "safe" to execute in this fashion?

Let's say you are running some long script and you attempt to change the name of a variable with the GUI workspace browser. That appears to work when the request is queued, but what happens if the code you are running deletes the variable before your request is processed?