Re: Multivariate polynomails

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Multivariate polynomails
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:54:01 -0400

On Apr 13, 2013, at 4:25 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What do you think of this package?
>>>
>>> It is not fully shaped as an Octave package but maybe we can add it to
>>> Agora?
>>>
>>> Is there a multivariate polynomial package for GNU Octave already?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Juan, which package?  Missing a link?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Indeed, my apologies.
> Here is the link
> http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/jjg/en/code/mvpoly.html
>
> I do not know if there is a better package for multivariate
> polynomials. Maybe we can convince this person to continue developing
> the package.
> At the moment is somehow useful but the conventions used are different
> from the standard polynomial coefficient storage.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.

Regarding the polynomial coefficient convention, I've worked with 2D
polynomials in the past and found that a particular convention was useful when
overriding polyder() and polyint().   I haven't looked at extending polyval,
polyder and polyint to more than two variables, but my impression is that a
sparse ND array representation would be a good solution.

Ben