Menus of the file browser (was discussion on patch #8015)

From: Torsten
Subject: Menus of the file browser (was discussion on patch #8015)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 08:41:40 +0200

I moved this discussion to the maintainers list

On 14.04.2013 00:33, John Donoghue wrote:
> On 04/13/2013 02:03 AM, Torsten wrote:
>> Follow-up Comment #2, patch #8015 (project octave):
>>
>> When synchronizing is disabled, you can set the current directory to the
>> actual file browser directory with the "check" (right) button in the
>> toolbar
>> and the browser directory to the current directory with the "reload"
>> (middle)
>> button.
>>
> Oh ... so you can. And now you can also with the context menu as well. :)
>
> On playing with it, it seems a little counter intuitive with the set
> octave directory button setting the current directory to the root of the
> treeview, rather than the selected directory in the view (if one was
> selected) Thoughts?
>
> On the file browser, would it make sense to add a popdown tool button
> with the same options as the context menu?
> Not that it should be a driving factor, but I believe Matlab does a
> similar thing, and the Goto current octave directory button could be
> merged (with the set octave directory)  into the popdown button to allow
> the combo box to take more of the file browser toolbar space.
>
> I will volunteer to do it (both points), if people think it is something
> worth doing.

It was intended that you can set the currently viewed directory as new
octave directory. I think this is intuitive since the "check" button is
next to the combo box with the directory name but we can change that if
the general opinion is that is is not intuitive.

The same questions arises for the popdown menu. Should its entries be
related to the currently shown or selected directory?

Torsten