Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: gsoc2013 octave audio system
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:11:05 -0400

On 17 April 2013 16:05, Vytautas Jancauskas <address@hidden> wrote:
> What would be the purpose of fixing existing audio playback code in
> octave when you could have much more general callback based
> functionality that is present in matlab?

Because we still have broken code in Octave that has to be fixed in
some way. The currently broken functions under scripts/audio are
primitive in interface, but they should also be easy to implement.
More importantly, fixing them will help you getting involved a lot
more than writing your own code without really interacting with our
own.

The point of GSoC isn't to get some simple task from you over the
summer. A lot of the time, we could do this ourselves, or the code
that we get from summer students is not much better than what we could
do ourselves. You really should think of GSoC as a recruiting
programme for Octave. We want to see if we can work well together and
you will stay with us for a long while.

Show us you're a team player, you can work with our tools and
understand why we do things the way we do them before you proclaim
them "garbage".

- Jordi G. H.