Re: [Maxima] Computational Engineering w/Maxima

From: c.
Subject: Re: [Maxima] Computational Engineering w/Maxima
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:11:40 +0200

On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:17, address@hidden wrote:

>>  Maybe the situation has changed, but when i
>> looked octave had only the most elementary stuff (it was many years
>> ago). For the most interesting stuff (e.g. numerically solving PDEs)
>> i think only matlab is adequate, or even has something.
>
> I know little about solving differential equations so I thought I'll
> pass this on to you---does Octave have similar capabilities by now?

There is a package in Octave [1] that allows solving PDEs in 1- 2- and 3D with
a combination of Finite Elements and Finite Volume methods.

This package was initially intended to be compatible with Matlab's PDEtoolbox
(which was 2d only).

As far as I know, though, the PDEtoolbox was discontinued when Comsol decided
to make its Multiphysics simulation environment independent of Matlab (the
process also included a lawsuit between the two companies [2]).

At the moment I think to have a pde solver in Matlab one needs to acquire both
a license for Matlab AND Comsol Multiphysics [3].

So, as far as I can tell, it's more like Octave does have a PDE solver at the
moment while Matlab doesn't.

c.

P.S. There are actually more 3rd party PDE solvers available that work with
both Octave and Matlab,
for example [4] and [5] to name but a few.

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Bim_package
[2]
http://www.jonesday.com/jones-day-wins-case-involving-questions-of-software-copyrightability-11-26-2008/
[3]