Re: eig function project

From: Rafael Gonzalez
Subject: Re: eig function project
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:06:20 -0300

Ok, but putting the GSoC project thing aside, I think giving the same options from Matlab is something I can begin to work on and getting involved with Octave. If it isn't good enough for a project, I'm also interested in the 1D PDEs project.

2013/4/19 Ed Meyer <address@hidden>

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Rafael Gonzalez <address@hidden> wrote:
>>A reference on why balancing is sometimes harmful:
>>And yikes! I just discovered that dgeev does scaling and permutation ('B' arg to dgebal)
>>unlike dggev which only does permutations ('P' arg to dggbal). I'm going to ask
>>the lapack folks about this - I gave them a case years ago which failed due to
>>balancing.

Thanks, I'll take a look on it. What do you think about giving Octave the same options from Matlab (for portability), and perhaps a new one that identifies cases where balancing is not needed or must be avoided? Could that make a GSoC project?

I'm afraid I'm not the one to judge whether that would make a good GSoC project,
but personally I think coming up with a way to detect if balancing is good or bad
would be very useful so the user does not have to be concerned with it. I'll report
back when I hear from the lapack folks.
--
Ed Meyer