Re: GSOC for the GNU project

From: Patrick Noffke
Subject: Re: GSOC for the GNU project
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:13:08 -0500

Hi Juan,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Juan Manuel Pérez Rúa <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Patrick,

I am Juan M. Perez, a Computer Vision master student in France, I would like to ask you somethings about one of the projects and my possible application. The project is the one related to Color image conversion and ICC profiles,  and I write to you, as you are listed as the possible mentor. If this is an error please kindly inform me of this.

I would like to know what kind of requisites will you have for student selection. To be honest, this would be my first collaboration with an open source project. But I completely motivated to do something like this a time ago, but my previous work in a private company as development engineer took almost all my time.

Also, for this particular project, I am really interested as my main platform is Linux based, and I use Octave almost everyday of my life. Also, studying computer vision had led some knowledge about this specific topic. The question is, what would you think that I have to show in my CV to demonstrate that I can develop this project. I have some C++ code in my github site, and also some code in the Mathwork file exchange. Is something like this enough, or you think I should improve my CV?

Thanks in advance,

--
________
Juan Manuel Pérez Rúa

Could you please respond to the following?

- Please tell me more about your experience with ICC profiles.
- I would like to see some of your code (both C++ and m-files).  Can you please share it now?
- Have you tried building Octave from source?
- Why are you interested in this particular project?
- What are your other plans for the summer?
- Do you plan to apply for any other GSoC projects?

We are very interested in continuing to work with GSoC students beyond the summer.  It's early at this point, but can you foresee what availability or interest you might have in working on Octave beyond GSoC?

This project will likely involve incorporating the littlecms library into Octave, and providing an octave interface that matches the Matlab interface for the relevant functions (iccread, iccwrite, applycform, makecform). The primary function in littlecms for applying color transforms is the cmsDoTransform function. The littlecms library and documentation are available at http://www.littlecms.com/.

You will need to provide the ability to perform color transforms between at least the following color spaces:

CMYK <--> L*a*b* (using any 1 of 4 rendering intents contained within a "print" ICC profile)
L*a*b* <--> XYZ
L*a*b* <--> sRGB
L*a*b* <--> RGB (using an "RGB" profile)

Every student is different, so it is hard to say what are specific prerequisites.  But high on the list are of course interest and ability.  The more info you can provide about your experience and interest will only help to make your submission stronger.

Thanks,
Patrick