Re: Help with copy/paste from/to Qt command Window

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Help with copy/paste from/to Qt command Window
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:22:53 -0500

On 04/22/2013 02:54 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
What needs to be done to enable copying text from or pasting text to the
Qt command window?

What should we do about the conflict with the customary Windows
keybinding for Ctrl-C to copy text vs. using that to generate an interrupt?

I think it would be acceptable to have Ctrl-C interrupt when Octave is
executing commands in the interpreter and otherwise copy text, but it's
not clear to me how to switch keybindings. Can someone with Qt
experience comment?

Make it configurable, perhaps. The default should probably be that if the terminal window is in focus, Ctrl-C will break the Octave process back to the command line. If focus is somewhere outside the terminal window, Ctrl-C could always mean copy. Cntrl-V would still mean paste inside the terminal window. There is a right mouse click menu item having copy and paste entries.

A configuration in the Peferences... could make Cntrl-C mean "copy what is highlighted" in the terminal window. Of course, the center mouse button (for those who still use one) works for non-clipboard copying. If that is an option, then there would have to be some menu selection or icon for breaking out of the Octave process. That should actually be a set of functions in a "run" group, "run" not being totally worked out just yet.

Focus behavior needs a small bit of work. Someone already mentioned it jumps around unexpectedly.

Debugging needs work--not only GUI aspect, but probably the core as well.

Dan