GSoC: Octave mentors, sign up!

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: GSoC: Octave mentors, sign up!
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:20:27 -0400

If you are interested in being a mentor for Octave during Google
Summer of Code, you will need to (1) create a profile in Melange and
(2) start a "connection" with GNU (this is what the Google folks call
the mentor request this year, a "connection"). The Melange UI is
notoriously confusing, so if you have trouble finding the right links,
let us know.

In your connection message, make sure you mention Octave. You should
probably also let us know here if you plan to be a mentor so that we
can tell GNU that you're a mentor for Octave. The GNU admins have to
approve mentors, and we need to be careful about whom we let in. Not
that any of you refined folks would do such a thing, but every year
there are fake "mentors" who are trying to collude with "students" to
scam organisations out of slots and Google out of money. The scam is:
the "student" does no work or very poor work, but the "mentor"
approves this anyways, then the "mentor" and "student" share the
money. I don't know if anyone has actually fallen for this, but there
are attempts every year.

To GNU folks: the following members have been mentors in the past or
have already been working and are "pre-approved" to be mentors this
year, if they choose to be so:

    Nir Krakauer
    Carlo de Falco
    Michael Godfrey
    Michael Goffioul
    John W. Eaton
    Patrick Noffke
    Mike Miller
    Juan Pablo Carbajal
    and yours truly

GNU, if anyone else asks to be a mentor for Octave, let us know.

- Jordi G. H.