Re: Help with copy/paste from/to Qt command Window

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Help with copy/paste from/to Qt command Window
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 13:49:35 -0700 (PDT)

Daniel Sebald wrote
> On 04/22/2013 02:54 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> What needs to be done to enable copying text from or pasting text to the
>> Qt command window?
>>
>> What should we do about the conflict with the customary Windows
>> keybinding for Ctrl-C to copy text vs. using that to generate an
>> interrupt?
>>
>> I think it would be acceptable to have Ctrl-C interrupt when Octave is
>> executing commands in the interpreter and otherwise copy text, but it's
>> not clear to me how to switch keybindings. Can someone with Qt
>> experience comment?
>
> Make it configurable, perhaps.  The default should probably be that if
> the terminal window is in focus, Ctrl-C will break the Octave process
> back to the command line.  If focus is somewhere outside the terminal
> window, Ctrl-C could always mean copy.  Cntrl-V would still mean paste
> inside the terminal window.  There is a right mouse click menu item
> having copy and paste entries.

My suggestion was and is more or less what John mentioned above:
(if the command window has focus:) Ctrl-C to interrupt Octave when it is at
work, otherwise copy highlighted/selected text from the command window.
I think it goes without saying that in order to copy something from a window
or pane, that window or pane must have focus anyway.

AFAIK the vast majority of Windows programs already work that way, with the
notable exception of the cmd32.exe terminal/console.
Even more, may GUI programs on Linux already use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V
as well.

> A configuration in the Peferences... could make Cntrl-C mean "copy what
> is highlighted" in the terminal window.  Of course, the center mouse
> button (for those who still use one) works for non-clipboard copying.
> If that is an option, then there would have to be some menu selection or
> icon for breaking out of the Octave process.  That should actually be a
> set of functions in a "run" group, "run" not being totally worked out
> just yet.

I find it hard to follow what you mean to say here, apologies.

To make things configurable would be great - but IMO that is no priority.

Philip