Re: Release Plans

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Release Plans
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:12:29 -0400

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
> Yes you're right, I remember the FPU flags issue. But was that an Octave bug
> (not properly preserving & resetting those flags) or a Java bug?

I'd say it's subtle and open to interpretation :) It's a feature of
the JVM that we have to live with so we had to address it in Octave
either way.

> The MinGW and MSVC binaries are shipped with precompiled packages that run
> on every Windows (except 8, and older versions than 2000) having about any
> Java JRE > 1.6 installed. (Note: only a JRE is needed to run Java but a JDK
> will also work.)

Thanks, that's good to know, that means we have a chance of it working
similarly on Linux systems with various JREs installed. Assuming we
can find the path to the library, that is probably the bigger
challenge.

In any event, this is a great set of goals for the next release,
looking forward to helping out as much as I can.

--
mike