Re: Release Plans

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Release Plans
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:54:19 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/23/2013 09:14 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Yes you're right, I remember the FPU flags issue. But was that an Octave
bug (not properly preserving & resetting those flags) or a Java bug?
It's a bit hard to believe that other SW developers never hit this
issue, as Java is so immensely widely used.

I wasn't aware that Octave is setting FPU flags to some non-default
values except on BSD systems where it was apparently required to avoid
trapping when generating Inf and NaN values.

Yeah, we're talking about FPU flags/CPU flags because I started mentioning that in my previous post. I was inspired by my memory of posts mentioning FPU/CPU flags, but I can't find them anymore.

But even if flags are involved, I think we'd rather say "Octave incl. the Java subsystem". I don't know if Octave sets flags; perhaps dependency libs do; but as Mike mentioned there is obviously some interference, only noted after Java got moved to core Octave.

So I think it would be unusual to have to save and restore FPU flags
before and after calling some library routine. Maybe the library
routines should be taking care of that detail?

From our POV that would be obvious. But maybe not from the POV of the developers of that library.

I suspect this usually goes unnoticed because people don't care. As I
recall, we only noticed because of small (on the order of the machine
precision) changes in some test results. If we hadn't had the previous
values, I don't think that we would have noticed either.

AFAIK Mike hints to http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?37863 (still open); however this seems to be related to readline (?)

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=37891 turned out to be a bug exposed due to a different memory layout caused by loading the JVM.

The third one (Mike mentioned three issues) I can't find.

So all in all, ignoring Mike's 3rd issue, I think it remains doubtful whether it really is the JVM that is the cause. Maybe there are underlying bugs (in Octave and/or the dependencies) that went unnoticed until recently and the JVM is just the last straw that breaks the camel's back.

Philip