GSoC - N-dimensional image processing project

From: akhil vij
Subject: GSoC - N-dimensional image processing project
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 07:58:19 +0530

Hi Everyone,

I am a final year Masters student of IIIT-Hyderabad, India. I am doing my thesis in the area of biometrics and have some background of medical image processing. While going through the ideas page, I was really interested in the N-dimensional image processing project. I have worked with multi-dimensional images such as Analyze7.5 , Dicom, .NII, .NITF , .HDR etc formats and have a fair amount of knowledge about handling such images. I have prior open source experience and have worked with Debian organization last year [1]. Major part of my thesis work is done via m-scripting and I am quite comfortable with C++ and git.

I have small doubts regarding this project.

File format : Could you tell the major file format I would be working on for this project. The project description states that the most probable format would be multiple TIFF which is just an image stack containing 1000s of images.

Base functions : What are the major/most important base functions you think that should be modified for such images. I think the most priority should be given to imread/imwrite and iminfo. I went through some matlab blogs ([2],[3])  to see the problems that they faced while providing support for such files. They basically optimized their iminfo function and changed the interface for imread/write functions accordingly.

Currently, I am having a look at their solution to get a rough idea (ofcourse, I won't go too deep into the matlab source code because of their licence and other legal issues)

I have build octave from source and will start patching for atleast the most basic functions, once we prepare a exhaustive list of the base functions.

Thanks,
Akhil Vij
Center for Visual Information Technology
IIIT-Hyderabad

[1] - https://github.com/akhilvij/systemd-to-sysvinit-converter
[2] - http://blogs.mathworks.com/steve/2008/07/30/tiff-update/
[3] - http://blogs.mathworks.com/steve/2009/04/02/matlab-r2009a-imread-and-multipage-tiffs/