Re: Stepping into local functions no longer works

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Stepping into local functions no longer works
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 14:52:37 -0400

Could we please keep discussions on the list?

On 04/28/2013 02:27 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 04/28/2013 01:17 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/28/2013 02:10 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
Debugging no longer into local functions inside a script file. Was that
change intentional?

Probably not.

Can you give a precise example and explain what steps are needed to
reproduce the problem? I don't have time to guess.

Give the attached function a try. It was open in my editor and I placed
a breakpoint. A dialog came up instructing if it should be added to the
path or change directory (nice). I selected change directory.

I noticed that wouldn't step into the local function. Since I wrote the
matter the input.

Stepping in works for me.

But initializations of global variables only happen once.

OTOH, there does seem to be a bug in that if I set a breakpoint in the subfunction and then call the primary function, the debugger does not stop in the subfunction, even on the first call. I'm not sure why that's happening, but it seems to be independent of the global initialization.

I am able to step in to the subfunction if I set a breakpoint in the primary function then, on the first call to the primary function, step to the global statement and use the "step in" button or use "dbstep in" at the command line.