Re: Help with copy/paste from/to Qt command Window

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Help with copy/paste from/to Qt command Window
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 17:40:02 -0400

On 04/22/2013 05:04 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

My suggestion was and is more or less what John mentioned above:
(if the command window has focus:) Ctrl-C to interrupt Octave when it
is at
work, otherwise copy highlighted/selected text from the command window.
I think it goes without saying that in order to copy something from a
window
or pane, that window or pane must have focus anyway.

Eh, I don't know. Sounds good as a convenience, until put into practice.
I don't think a key's behavior should change too drastically, if at all,
based upon state. Say the user is used to using Cntrl-C as copy, then
runs a long batch job that might take five minutes. While that's going
the user starts working away in the editor and inadvertently types a
Cntrl-C in the terminal window and it stops the process because of it's
change in behavior. The user probably won't be happy. Can set it up that
way, then let developers try it out for a while.

My understanding C-c in the Matlab command window copies and
interrupts, so I suspect that is also what many people will expect
Octave to do.

After thinking about this some more, it seems that instead of changing
behavior based on what Octave is doing, we should change the behavior
based on whether there is an active selection:

  * if there is an active selection, C-c copies and does not clear the
    selection (clicking once without dragging anywhere else in the
    command window will clear the selection)

  * if there is no active selection, C-c sends an interrupt signal to
    Octave.

That seems like a reasonable compromise to me, and doesn't require any
configuration preferences to further confuse things.