Re: implementing gallery() - fix matlab bugs or keep compatibility?

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: implementing gallery() - fix matlab bugs or keep compatibility?
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 09:08:27 -0400

On 05/07/2013 12:46 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
I can simply copy and paste the original code, make no changes
whatsoever, and that would probably be maximum matlab compatibility
and less work for me. Or should I change the behaviour by checking for
what is actually documented? Should these be considered bugs to fix,
or peculiarities that we must keep for matlab compatibility?
A general rule should, I think, be that Octave is "like Matlab or better."
Appropriate input error checking is an example of "or better."
Anyone converting code from Matlab would be pleased to discover that
they had provided an incorrect input.
A number of quirks in Matlab have been implemented in Octave for
compatibility. But input checking as you described is definitely a good idea.

Michael