Re: edit.m: use current working directory, remove HOME

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: edit.m: use current working directory, remove HOME
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 21:52:38 -0400

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 27 April 2012 13:14, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Regarding "HOME", I used ".", so I'm ok either way, but ...
>>>
>>> One of my first changesets touched on edit.m. My recollection was that
>>> some users (developers?) preferred that all octave's core m-files be
>>> opened in a specific location. My guess is that if you remove HOME,
>>> you'll get some complaints. I think changing the default to pwd()
>>> would be ok.
>>
>> Yeah, completely understand.  It's a user interface issue, harder to say
>> what the "right" answer is, etc.
>
> Hey, I just realised that this is still a problem. A long time ago I
> put in my .octaverc "edit home ." forgot why, and and forgot that this
> was still a problem. Miike, are you feeling more confident about
> applying this patch now? It seems to have gotten forgotten.

Yikes, I'd forgotten all about this one too. This patch completely
gets rid of the "edit home" concept. Ben had a good point that this
might offend some people. I think I had a different patch at one point
that kept the ability to set "edit home" to some fixed path but made
the default be the current directory. Let me see if I can resurrect
what I had and make something useful out of it.

--
mike