Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 18

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 18
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 17:24:47 -0400

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 05/12/2013 05:10 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/12/2013 04:57 PM, John Donoghue wrote:

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
We currently have a big hard-coded list of "keywords" (actually
mostly function names) in libgui/src/resource-manager.cc that are
used by the GUI editor for syntax highlighting. Instead of the static
list, I'd like to get the list of keywords from Octave. That part is
easy, but when I started looking at how this list is used, I noticed
that the QsciLexer keywords function can have more than one class of
keywords. What do the class IDs correspond to? What should be in set
1, 2, 3, etc.?
I think it's up to the person writing the lexer to define what the
available sets correspond to. The comments in this link [1] indicates
this is primarily intended to support languages embedded into other
languages (first example that comes to my mind is HTML/PHP). Michael.
[1]
https://code.google.com/p/ste-editor/source/browse/trunk/application/3rdparty/qscintilla/Qt4/Qsci/qscilexer.h?r=3

Currently, the matlab/octave Scintilla lexer code only uses the 1 set of
keywords.

So what should we include in the list? The actual keywords in the
language (if, while, for, etc.) or the list of functions or both?
Handling them both the same doesn't seem too useful to me...

So now I see that the Scintilla sources already have a qscilexeroctave.cpp file and it includes keywords only in a static list.  So why are we defining our own lexer_octave_gui class?  Is that obsolete now?

I suppose the answer is in the comments in lexer-octave-gui.cc, before lexer_octave_gui::language(). Older versions of qscintilla didn't expose(have?) the octave/matlab lexer.

Michael.