Re: Detaching from terminal and keyboard input for GUI

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Detaching from terminal and keyboard input for GUI
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:39:21 +0800

On May 14, 2013, at 10:07 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 05/13/2013 09:33 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>>> I'm able to copy and paste using SHIFT-CMD-C&  shift+cmd+v (Normal OSX keys
>>> are CMD-C&  CMD-V). The "find files" also works for me, SHIFT-CMD-F.
>
> I think those keybindings are coming from the shortcuts assigned to
> entries in the Edit menu that is part of the main window menu bar.

Yes, that looks correct to me (I see them there).  Is there a place in the
sources this can be modified, or is it something I need to modify in a
preference file?

>>> When I attempt "ls" in a directly with enough files to trigger the pager
>>> and its "-- less -- (f)orward, (b)ack, (q)uit", the command line becomes
>>> unresponsive.
>
> So the ioctl doesn't really detach the terminal.  I'd guess that less
> is still trying to read from /dev/tty, or if not, that whatever it is
> trying to read from is not properly attached to the terminal widget.
>
>>> CTRL-C doesn't work for me either.  I'm also unable to use the arrow keys
>>> to browse through the command history.
>>>
>>> I assume that means readline is'nt functioning.
>
> Do any other readline keybindings work?  CTRL-A?

I had to look that up.  Very useful keybinding :-)

Unfortunately, it does not work for me from the gui's command line.

>>> The CMD-O works (which is normal mapping on OS X, i.e. not "SHIFT-CMD-O")
>
> That is probably coming from the keyboard shortcut that is attached to
> the open menu item in the File menu that is part of the main window
> menu bar.

Yes, I see it there as well.

>>      src/m-editor/file-editor-tab.cc:30:34: fatal error:
>> Qsci/qscilexeroctave.h: No such file or directory
>
> I can look at disabling this feature if Qsci/qscilexeroctave is not
> present.  But I'm not really interested in duplicating this
> functionality in Octave in the event that it is not present in
> QScintilla.

No problem.  Fink has packages for several versions of qscintilla. I may switch
back to fink in a few weeks (I'll have to try building Octave on Fink first).
I'll also look at Fink's package setup to see if there is anything obvious I
can use to prepare a portfile for macports.

Ben