Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 25

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 25
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 16:38:07 -0400

On 05/14/2013 04:26 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Is this the up-to-date repository code?

https://github.com/Amorph/scintilla/blob/master/lexers/LexMatlab.cxx

I don't see any keywords in there. Neither is there anything about color
and highlight info. The most I see pertains to documentation formatting.
Did the QScintilla folks just decide to add those keyword features
themselves instead of going back to the Scintilla source and maintain that?

It looks like you found the scintilla editor sources, not the QScintilla package.

In the QScintilla sources, the lexer files that contain the keyword info are in the Qt3 subdirectory.

For a stand-alone editor, a fixed list of keywords makes sense, I suppose, though for something like Octave, you could possibly query Octave for the most up to date list when the editor starts.

For an embedded editor, we could do better, by overloading the keyword function with our own that calls Octave functions to get the keyword lists. I'm not opposed to doing that, but the way it was done before looked to me like the code in Octave was just a replacement for the code that is now in QScintilla. Sorry if I was mistaken and removed it too quickly.