Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: OCTAVE ONLINE DOCUMENT ERROR?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 15:08:55 -0400

cdOn 19 May 2013 09:08, Vytautas Jancauskas <address@hidden> wrote:
> If you mean how to contribute to the octave code base then the
> standard OSS procedure these days

We don't endorse "open source software" in Octave. We endorse free
software:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

> is to fork the repository, make the changes and create a pull
> request I guess.

I find it a tad strange that github has popularised the term "fork"
for "clone". The word "fork" for repos has connotations of
irreconcilable differences between two development teams (e.g. Emacs
and XEmacs; MySQL and MariaDB). We would prefer that you don't fork
Octave in this sense. Hopefully you don't have irreconcilable
differences with Octave yet. You're welcome to clone our repo,
however:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

While pull requests for our repo are fine, you can also just send us
patches created by "hg export" or however else you can make them. We
prefer patches or pull requests, but it's more important for us that
you send us patches in any way you can. It's just easier for us to
apply hg patches or pull requests, so it's more likely for your
patches to get applied more quickly this way.

    http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/

http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html

- Jordi G. H.