Re: GUI file dialog freeze

From: Thorsten Liebig
Subject: Re: GUI file dialog freeze
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 20:50:47 +0200

Am 24.05.2013 19:25, schrieb Torsten:
> On 21.05.2013 11:18, Thorsten Liebig wrote:
>> I have a strange problem with the Octave GUI on Kubuntu 13.04 and it already
>> existed on Kubuntu 12.10
>>
>> If I want to open or save a file, the file dialog and Octave freezes.
>> At the same time I get this message in the Octave terminal:
>> "KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a
>> valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you
>> tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created.
>> You should not do that since it most likely will not work"
>> But this seems not necessarily related to the freeze (see below)
>>
>> If I wait a couple of minutes, I get on the Octave terminal:
>> QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
>> QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
>>
>> After this two messages, I can browse the files normally and open/save.
>>
>> But this two processes that got killed seem to be important, because after
>> this Octave behaves strange...
>> E.g.: Sometimes the entire GUI freezes or at least doesn't get updated if a
>> script is running...
>> If I'm patient again, I get again:
>> "QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running."
>> And the GUI unfreezes again...
>>
>> I tried a fresh Kubuntu 13.04 on a virtual machine and did *not* see this
>> problems, except the "KGlobal::locale()..." message, but no freezes... :(
>> And to make this even more weird. I have been seeing this problem on my
>> machine at work for a long time (>half a year) but had no time to look
>> closer,
>> but recently my home machine got infected as well :(
>>
>> I have no idea how to debug this problem or what is causing it...
>>
>> Does anybody else have this issues?
>> Any ideas?
> We have already got a bug report some time ago
> (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?38305) but without a response
> to our requests for more info. Therefore it was closed.
>
> Here the three related questions from Rik and me:
> - What language is configured in the settings dialog? Does the freeze
> occur with en_US, too?
> - Does the settings dialog cause this freeze, too?
> - Does Octave actually crash, as in a segmentation fault and a return to
> the shell prompt? Or is the first File Dialog window slow to open, but
> subsequent dialogs are fine?
>
> Torsten

Thanks for the response. I didn't see that bug report, but it fits
perfectly and should be reopened?

To your questions:
- That was my first try to switch to en_US, but it didn't help.
- No other dialog cases any problems
- Octave does not crash or segfault, I just can't do anything else than
wait for the two QProcess to be destroyed. After that I can more or less
work normally, even the file-dialog works fine after that...

I have the feeling that the QProcess that got killed is responsible for
updating the GUI+Terminal?
Because I just ran a lengthy simulation (a binary tool called by using
the system command function unix) in Octave, but the GUI was not updated
or even redrawn after I minimized the windows. But my tool was running
in the background...
Some minutes later I get again:
"QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running."
And everything unfreezes and gets updated ... it is really weird.
Sometimes just everything works normal, it is really coincidental...
(except the first file dialog freeze)

If I never use the file-dialog (e.g. just using the edit command to open
a file) the GUI acts normal...

regards
Thorsten