Re: Wavelet Denoising toolbox.

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Wavelet Denoising toolbox.
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 13:16:15 +0100

On 29 May 2013 14:38, Peter L. Soendergaard <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/29/2013 03:17 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Peter L. Soendergaard
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps we can somehow coordinate so we avoid a duplication of efforts
>>
>> That sounds good, I hope you can do that.
>>
>> btw, it would be better if you provided a proper Octave package of
>> your toolbox. What are the chances of doing that?
>
> That depends on how much needs to be done. Some issues:
>
> 1) The main thing is the documentation, I cannot convert that to Octaves
> format, too much work has gone into structuring that nicely in another
> format (reStructuredText), and I would like to keep it in that format.
> Currently LTFAT comes in at around 300 functions, with a 180 page manual,
> http://ltfat.sourceforge.net/doc/ltfat.pdf
>
> 2) LTFAT is itself structured into directories, so it is already a
> collection of small "packages".

You can turn them into several Octave packages, dependent on each
other. Just make sure you avoid circular dependencies.

> 3) LTFAT is hosted on Sourceforge it a Git repository, and I would like it
> to stay there, as I can easily control who has write access, for instance if
> a ph.d. student needs to submit or cleanup a few files.
>
> If we can just create a package specification file that installs the whole
> toolbox, it would probably be doable, but I don't know if that is acceptable
> for Octave forge, or if LTFAT becomes to "alien" compared to the rest of the
> website.
>
> I might be able to create a script that converts reStructuredText to
> texinfo. Does texinfo supports Latex formulas, images and citations? If so,
> I can convert the TeX output. If not, I can convert the text output.

The original point was that a proper Octave package would mean that
pkg can then be used to handle everything and make things simpler.
This would allow to, for example, have other packages depend on it. To
have such package is unrelated to have it in Octave Forge, other
projects have chosen to not make it an Octave Forge and that's
perfectly fine. An Octave package is not necessarily an Octave Forge
package.

Carnë