Re: closed loop control GSoC Design Question

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: closed loop control GSoC Design Question
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:15:39 -0400

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 05/30/2013 09:50 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

IMO the best way to implement it would be to rely on uiXXX functions
(uimenu, uicontrol, uitoolbar...), at least that's how I would do it.
However, at the moment, these functions are only supported by QtHandles
(FLTK only supports uimenu IIRC), which is not part of core octave.

I agree.  If possible, you should work with the GUI functions that are available in the scripting language.  If those are not sufficient, then we should think about ways to add more functions in the scripting language that will allow you to do what you need instead of having you write a separate GUI tool that is tied to one particular toolkit.

My hope is that we can integrate QtHandles with Octave relatively soon so that the GUI for Octave uses the same toolkit as the GUI elements that wrap the graphics rendering objects.

At the same time, we should make it possible to use the Qt-based graphics tools from Octave's command line even if you aren't using the full GUI interface.

You can use QtHandles without using a GUI, but you still need a QApplication object and it needs to be on the main thread (thank you OS X). That's why I wrote a very simple octave wrapper in QtHandles [1].

Michael.

[1] https://github.com/goffioul/QtHandles/blob/master/tool/octave-qt.cpp