Re: Google Summer of Code - LaTeX processing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - LaTeX processing
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:34:29 -0400

On 05/30/2013 12:19 PM, Patrick Noffke wrote:

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM, John Swensen <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    A long time ago in 2008, I had spent just a few days looking at the
    problem you will be working on for GSoC. Here is a discussion about
    what I did on the mailing list archive:
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers/11892/focus=11911

    Your solution probably will end up being a lot better (seeing that
    you have a summer to work on it), but I simply tried to use
    mimeTeX (http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html)
    and
    mathTeX (http://www.forkosh.com/mathtex.html)
    to generate rasterized version of small LaTeX statements.

    For the life of me, I can't find my old code, but maybe this is a
    decent starting point. mimeTeX is a pretty limited implemenation of
    a LaTeX parse and doesn't use the standard fonts. mathTeX, on the
    other hand, uses an underlying LaTeX installation to generate the
    image of the expression and crop it accordingly. I had also just
    tried to do my own calls to generate a PDF page, use pdfcrop, then
    convert to a raster, but mathTeX was doing something that made it
    much, much faster (e.g 200 per second).

    Hope this helps you get started, and I am looking forward to having
    TeX support in plot text objects!

    John Swensen
    address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>

Thanks, John, that is very helpful background info.

You might also look at what matplotlib does for handling TeX and LaTeX markup.