Re: New contributions

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: New contributions
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 09:38:03 -0400

On 29 May 2013 11:44, Marcos Cardinot <address@hidden>

> Unfortunately I was not selected, I would like to take this time to
> ask which factors were decisive in that I could not be accepted this
> year?

I will have to be a little unpleasant responding to this, and I
apologise in advance. This is only my own perception. I was not alone
the one who decided where to choose you or not, so others may have a
different opinion as to why you weren't selected.

Personally, I was not highly impressed by your proposal. It sounds a
bit vague, and the details of the problem that you gave were not
sufficient to convince me that you had spent time working towards a
solution, at least partial. For example, to me it seems important to
explain and understand what Matlab currently does, since our users
would expect a similar interface. You mentioned using our OpenGL
backend, but it seems to me that this is incomplete; you will also
need a graphical backend. You should have at least mentioned something
about how you might use Qt to sole this problem, and I don't see any
understanding at all that you knew this might be relevant.

Furthermore, and correct me if I'm wrong, we have not seen any sample
code or involvement from you in the mailing lists or IRC (perhaps only
a shy "hello" in IRC? I can't remember). I know this may seem unfair,
since you're quite possibly distracted with final exams around the
same time that you could have been applying for this, but we have had
people approach us several months in advance to GSoC as part of their
"application".

I know you didn't get any feedback about your application in Melange.
This happened probably because you didn't capture our interest enough.
I tried to give everyone else at least a cursory appraisal, but I seem
to have missed you. I cannot explain why exactly; I would have to
figure out what psychological aspects made me overlook your
application. My guess is what I said above: it simply didn't
immediately impress me.

> I plan to apply again next year and I intend to use this time to
> contribute to the community in some way. Do you have any
> suggestions?

You're quite welcome to proceed with the project you have already
proposed and flesh it out. You don't need Google to work with us if
you don't need the money. We can do something almost exactly like GSoC
for you; the only difference is that we probably will not pay you.
However, if you impress us greatly within the next month or so, there
is a slim chance that we might pay a plane ticket for you to fly to
Milano in Italy for this year's OctConf.

- Jordi G. H.