Re: GSOC 2013 - FEM LIBRARY

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GSOC 2013 - FEM LIBRARY
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 12:24:07 -0400

On 05/31/2013 11:52 AM, Júlio Hoffimann wrote:
 Ideally, namespacing Octave classes should be done by some sort of CPP
 magic (read: not C++) so that it can be selectively enabled.

Jordi,

I think we can do it without pre-processing, I did a similar attempt in
the past on a monstrous code base: LibreOffice proposal for consistent
namespaces
<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Proposing-a-new-Easy-Hack-project-consistent-namespaces-td2826117.html#none>

There was a flame war, but in the end people started to consider the
proposal.

I don't think we need multiple namespaces for Octave.  Am I wrong?

If we use just one, what should it be? Octave? octave? octave_org or perhaps org_octave (for the Java fans among us)?

If we add a namespace, then maybe we can do away with the octave_ prefix that we currently have attached to many of our functions. But Steve needn't worry just yet -- I'm willing to keep the old names around (but tagged as deprecated) for at least a couple of major releases before we completely remove them.

> I'm not contributing to LibreOffice anymore, they care too
much about backwards compatibility, that doesn't excite me.

Ha!