Re: [Octave] Mesh

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [Octave] Mesh
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 20:02:20 +0200

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Marco Vassallo
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> Subject: Re: [Octave] Mesh
>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:22:09 +0200
>> To: address@hidden
>

>> On 31 May 2013, at 09:39, address@hidden wrote:
>>
>> > Message: 3
>> > Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 00:52:31 +0200
>> > From: Marco Vassallo <address@hidden>
>> > To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>> > Subject: [Octave] Mesh
>> >
>> > I would like to understand a little bit about mesh in Octave as
>> > I have to use them with dolfin Mesh.
>> > I have seen the forge pkg msh, but the documentation is not
>> > very exhaustive.
>>
>> Marco the mesh format used by the msh package is extremely simple and is
>> described
>> here in detail for 2D:
>>
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/msh/function/msh2m_structured_mesh.html
>>
>> and here for 3D
>>
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/msh/function/msh3m_structured_mesh.html
>>
>> essentially it is just an Octave structure with 3 matrix fields:
>>
>> p is the list of vertices
>> t is the connectivity matrix
>> e is the list of boundary facets
>>
>> if you find that documentation unclear I'd be very glad to accept you
>> patches to make more
>> clear and to provide guidance in helping you prepare those patches.
>>

> this documentation is clear.
> I was looking to the documentation for unstructured_mesh which refer to gmsh
> manual
> and so I was a little bit scared.
> But I imagine that structured and unstructured mesh are managed with the
> same format..
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marco
>

>> > Is msh the only way in wich we can manage
>> > mesh in Octave or there is some other options?
>>
>> yes msh is the only currently available mesh managing package I am aware
>> of
>> and it is part of Octave-Forge, not Octave.
>>
>> > Marco V.
>>
>> c.

Hi Marco,
Please also consider this type of conversion (again, without trying to
overload you, just giving ideas)
http://svn.code.sf.net/p/octave/code/trunk/octave-forge/main/geometry/inst/io/data2geo.m

You can find all the quick&dirty Octave matrix to gmsh file format
.geo in the private folder. It is basically string manipulation and I
must say I am happy with the performance (I use this function
intensively, I create meshes with the solution of an ODE, I know,
weird, that's me!)

I will be willing to give it a pump in a Octconf code-sprint if you
think this will add up to your package.

Cheers