Re: How to build octave including gui using msvc

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: How to build octave including gui using msvc
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 15:21:27 -0400

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:19 PM, vinu kn <address@hidden> wrote:
I have tried many times to build octave using msvc,but failed. I think
you are the first person who build octave including gui perfectly. How
you build octave? Please add a post in octave forum about your
experience.

[Cc maintainer list for reference]

It's basically a lot of patience of porting work. A few months ago I posted all by build scripts and patches, see [1]. The entry point is the script build.sh, which I invoke as:

./build.sh --msvc --prefix=/c/Software/VC10Libs <packname>

The script supports a few options, inspect the script in a text editor to learn about it.

There's a rudimentary system of dependencies, but deps are not build automatically, so you have to compile things in the correct order (see script all.sh). To make use of that system, you need a proper MSYS/MinGW installation and VS2010 (it might work with VS2012, but I never tested it as it doesn't support WinXP). Scripts are expected to be run from a MSYS shell with all VS20120 tools available: the easiest way to achieve that is to hack msys.bat and add the following before executing the shell:

call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat"

Michael.

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows#Building_from_source