RE: Dolfin mesh conversion functions [was: Re: Welcome GSoC students!]

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: RE: Dolfin mesh conversion functions [was: Re: Welcome GSoC students!]
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:32:08 +0200

> Subject: Dolfin mesh conversion functions [was: Re: Welcome GSoC students!]
> From: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 07:11:46 +0200
> To: address@hidden
> CC: address@hidden
>

> On 5 Jun 2013, at 06:54, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > On 5 Jun 2013, at 02:17, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Ok, I create a /devel directory and add the code
> > OK.
> >
> > As for the code congratulattions these are already quite useful functions!
> >
> > a few quick comments:
> >
> > 1: the name of the functions is completely misleading,
> > it sounds like if they were for parsing generic xml files,
> > which is not the case. Also, msh has a "namespace" convention
> > to start all its functions by "msh".
> >
> > 2: please follow Octave code formatting guidelines:
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/C_002b_002b-Sources.html#C_002b_002b-Sources
> >
> > 3: you should chech for errors in input data types with the "error_state" macro:
> >
> > std::string mesh_to_read = args(0).string_value();
> > if (! error_state)
> > {
> > // do stuff
> > }
> > return retva;
> >
> > 4: it would be helpful to add a makefile, you could grab an example from some ither package to start with
> >
> >> Thanks
> >> Marco
> >

> wow, it happened yet one more time … I again sent the message before it was complete.
>
> 5: demo code should be prepended with "%!demo", also adding at least a test would be useful

Thanks for all the advices !!

> 6: the next step could be to implement "msh2m_refine" and "msh3m_refine" using dolfin's mesh refinement.

That is what I planned to do, but I also need to understand how
we can add the information contained in the "e" matrix about the
 number of the geometrical border containing the side edge to the
.xml mesh format.
It would be a shame if after a refinement we loose
these informations, especially in a FEM application where
we need to apply some b.c.
At the moment,  Johan Hake gave me some very good ideas which
I'm trying to add to our code.

Marco