Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 83

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 83
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:01:52 -0400

On 4 June 2013 17:45, Kai Torben Ohlhus <address@hidden> wrote:
> I must admit that for Octave-core development I need an advice for the
> workflow.
>
> Up to now I update and build every week the octave sources via
>
> hg pull
> hg update
> make (in my build directory)
> make install
>
> like described in
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/tip/etc/HACKING
>
> But this takes about an hour on my machine. That was my intention to
> initially work in an Octave-forge package.

You don't need to recompile all of Octave each time you're working on
a single function of it. You normally only compile Octave once, and
recompile the necessary parts as you track development ("hg pull" and
"hg update").

Also, what hardware are you using? You probably have more than one
processor core. If so, you can do "make -jN" where N is how many
concurrent compiler jobs you think your hardware can run.

- Jordi G. H.