Re: Dolfin mesh conversion functions [was: Re: Welcome GSoC students!]

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Dolfin mesh conversion functions [was: Re: Welcome GSoC students!]
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 21:36:02 +0200

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Marco Vassallo
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I was thinking about other possibilities for the refinement.. maybe a
> boolean vector of size equal to the number of cells which says if a cell has
> to be refined or not? or maybe something related to the label of the border
> ?

User-controlled refinement that I have found useful is given by a
property of element/face/edge/vertex that indicates the maximum level
of refinement, the meaning of "level of refinement" would depend on
the refining method, e.g. subdivision of element would require level
of refinement to be an integer value where 0 indicates no division and
4 indicates at most 4 subdivision (i.e. final size of elements L/k^4,
where k is given by how elements are divided).

If refinement is base don some estimation of the error, then I guess a
boolean is ok, since the user can't control the level of refinement,
but only the global error tolerance.