GUI release date approaches

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: GUI release date approaches
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 16:42:36 -0500

JWE had set a goal deadline for a GUI release as the end of June. I'm sure there will be and typically always is more work to do, but generally the GUI is running pretty well under my system. Everyone should test things real well and note any small, easily fixable quirks like a missing "setfocus()" that would improve workflow for the user. For example, I think I would like to have the debug/break operation set the focus of the file in which the break occurred rather than remain at the command window.

There is one thing that I think that should be added still and it is the variable "editor" or not necessarily editor but "variable viewer". John made a try at that, and anything even rudimentary would be nice. The reason I say that is that breakpoints just seems unfinished without such a thing. From the user's standpoint it is like, "Ok, hit a breakpoint, now what?" The right-mouse-click-option "disp (VAR)" doesn't seem to work (two things, a semicolon is placed after the "disp (VAR);" so that the contents aren't actually displayed in the command window, and also the debugger seems to leave debug mode), but more than that I think going back and forth between the editor and command window to see a variable's contents isn't as nice as having the code and variable contents visible at the same time. The nicest would be positioning the cursor over a variable and it's value appears in the tool tip...down the line maybe.

Dan