Re: GSoC Enquiry: Improving binary packaging

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GSoC Enquiry: Improving binary packaging
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:30:07 -0400

On 10 June 2013 10:23, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

> Apparently, I'm not keeping up ... What benefit is MXE on MacOS X if Xcode is
> needed?

It would be a single location for maintaining all build scripts. It
would pull in all dependencies except the build tools, and it would
work the same way across any OS. We would be able to maintain a single
build system for Octave for any OS.

It would be nice to be able to cross-compile (and I think it's
possible, if you click on "I Agree" and get the "Xcode developer
tools" package, which you can then use to bootstrap a cross-compiling
gcc), but even without that, the logic you're building by hand into
making a .dmg or app bundle can be folded into MXE.

- Jordi G. H.