Re: Should Octave mode support Matlab?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Should Octave mode support Matlab?
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 09:53:54 -0400

On 11 June 2013 03:17, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 11 Jun 2013, at 07:20, Leo Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > I wonder if people would like to have Octave mode run Matlab as well.
>
> What do you mean by that? Highlighting and indenting Matlab code
> correctly (I thought it does this already, since Octaves syntax should
> be a superset of Matlabs)? Or actually running Matlab in an inferior
> buffer (I wouldn't have thought this is possible at all, since I
> thought Matlab is graphical only, but I also would have no interest in
> it)?

matlab-mode has a bunch of Matlab-specific features that octave-mode
doesn't really need, like mlint support or tlc-mode:

    http://matlab-emacs.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml

I really would like for Octave to integrate with GUD, though. There
were even some patches put into Octave a few years ago towards this
goal, but nobody followed through.

- Jordi G. H.