Re: GUI release date approaches

From: Torsten
Subject: Re: GUI release date approaches
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:21:27 +0200

On 09.06.2013 23:42, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
> JWE had set a goal deadline for a GUI release as the end of June.  I'm
> sure there will be and typically always is more work to do, but
> generally the GUI is running pretty well under my system.  Everyone
> should test things real well and note any small, easily fixable quirks
> like a missing "setfocus()" that would improve workflow for the user.
> For example, I think I would like to have the debug/break operation set
> the focus of the file in which the break occurred rather than remain at
> the command window.
>
> There is one thing that I think that should be added still and it is the
> variable "editor" or not necessarily editor but "variable viewer".  John
> made a try at that, and anything even rudimentary would be nice.  The
> reason I say that is that breakpoints just seems unfinished without such
> a thing.  From the user's standpoint it is like, "Ok, hit a breakpoint,
> now what?"  The right-mouse-click-option "disp (VAR)" doesn't seem to
> work (two things, a semicolon is placed after the "disp (VAR);" so that
> the contents aren't actually displayed in the command window, and also
> the debugger seems to leave debug mode), but more than that I think
> going back and forth between the editor and command window to see a
> variable's contents isn't as nice as having the code and variable
> contents visible at the same time.  The nicest would be positioning the
> cursor over a variable and it's value appears in the tool tip...down the
> line maybe.

The tooltip for variables is a good idea.
Attached a patch that implements a custom tooltip in the editor. At the
moment the tooltip just shows the word found under the mouse pointer.
What would be the best way to get the actual names and values of valid
variables?

Concerning the workspace viewer: A semicolon has no effect for disp(),
it always displays its argument. There must be another issue preventing
the output and leaving the debug mode. Maybe the used callback
main_window::execute_command_callback where the command editor event
loop is used?

Related to this: Should a double click on a row of the workspace viewer
call disp() for the variable until we have a variable editor?

Torsten