Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-install

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-installer try 2]
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:56:06 -0400

On 06/11/2013 02:51 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

Here I didn't even get as far as you did. I installed mingw + above
dependencies, updated/upgraded, cloned mxe-octave.
The mxe build breaks while building gcc.

That's not currently expected to work. I've not been able to get gcc to build for any native build setup. So you need to try with USE_SYSTEM_GCC set to yes.

Longer term, yes, in some cases it would be nice to be able to build GCC from sources. For example, if the system version of GCC won't work for building Octave or if we want better control over the build environment. But otherwise, using the copy of GCC already installed should usually be OK.