RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-install

From: John D
Subject: RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-installer try 2]
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:15:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Nienhuis [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:46 PM
To: John W. Eaton
Cc: John D; address@hidden; 'Clemens Buchacher'
Subject: Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re:
mxe-installer try 2]

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 04:18 PM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
>
>> On my list is finding out how to build using mxe-octave on Windows 7
>> 64-bit,
>
> I'm starting to try the same thing now, so maybe we can help each
> other and make it work.

Yep.
Note that if Iam not mistaken we are about 7 hours separated in time. I
followed this thread a bit passively the last weeks, anyway I saw that you
are now very actively involved in getting building on MinGW to work; while
my available time is maybe 1-2 hours each evening (but my laptop can work
all night). Tonight I got maybe 10 minutes left.

>  > as that runs on my fastest dev box (the build I referred to runs
>> on an older Core Duo desktop).
>> I consistently get configure messages that "gcc cannot build
>> executables", with the log mentioning that ld cannot find a.o.,
>> -ladvapi32. Now, advapi32.dll and friends are in the
>> C:\Windows\system32 dir which *is* in the MinGW PATH as
>> /c/windows/system32. I've experimented with LDFLAGS and other tricks
>> to no avail :-) Google didn't turn up a solution yet.
>> I think this is a very MinGW-specific issue.
>
> This is with the 64-bit mingw and tools?

No, I started with the 32-bit MinGW stuff (to make a 32-bit Octave).
But perhaps 64-bit is a better goal on a 64-bit machine anyway.

> Why is it trying to link with
> advapi32? If that is normal, then where is that dependency coming from?
> Is it explicitly listed in some Makefiles?

AFAICS it is built-in somewhere deep in MinGW. There are some related
threads on this in various MinGW lists. Maybe it is related to win32api
files. Tomorrow I'll dig a bit further.

Philip

I think it pulls in the windows libraries as part of win32api

One of the machines I have been compiling on  is a Win7 machine running
mingw3 - but I haven't had any issues with it not being able to run
executables that I have noticed - In fact it has behaved the same as my XP
(32bit) machine with the same messages on not being able to find openssl etc
for postgres, qrupdate not untaring and qt complaining about needing a
-platform option :)