Re: Moving to Octave Forge to mercurial

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Moving to Octave Forge to mercurial
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:26:00 -0400

On 13 June 2013 12:54, marco atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il 6/13/2013 6:49 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso ha scritto:

>>> in general, I do not like ~90 individual repositories;
>>> overall maintance for common modifications will be a pain
>>

>> What are those common modifications?
>>

> last time was adjusting the lib dependency (like -llapack)
> across several packages.

I see. Is this a frequent problem we should prepare for? Can we,
should we move common code to a single location so it only has to be
changed once? Note that I don't think this hypothetical central
location should require subrepos, because...

> If you want to split in ~90 individual repositories
> will be nice to a have them as subrep of a common forge one.

subrepos are a Feature of Last Resort

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/FeaturesOfLastResort#But_I_need_to_have_managed_subprojects.21

If the superrepo containing all subrepos is going to be the canonical
go-to place, then it wouldn't be much better than the giant OF hg
mirror that we already have:

    http://hg.octave.org/forge

> Also moving files between similar packages will be
> more complicated

Yes, this would require two commits, one in each package. Is this a big problem?

- Jordi G. H.