RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-install

From: John D
Subject: RE: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-installer try 2]
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:34:50 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Nienhuis [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:29 PM
To: John D
Cc: 'John W. Eaton'; address@hidden; 'Clemens Buchacher';
'Anirudha Bose'
Subject: Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re:
mxe-installer try 2]

John D wrote:

>> I think one can add a "-platform win32-g++" option to configure.exe
>> that
> should (uhm, might) point to the proper mkspecs subdir.
>
> I already have the platform option set, if I don't set it, it displays
> the message about it needing to be set.
>
> On make qt #16?, I think I have Qt compiling now - it looks like where
> qt

You can add #17-23 from my side :-)

> looks for the mkspec folder follows the -prefix option rather than
> using the mkspec folder it uses in configure and (I assume?) will be
> copied during the install.
>
> The last make qt got to the point of linking QtCore4 and then failed
> as it couldn't link in libpng, and looked like configure isn't setting
> it to look in the correct place for it, so I've got it compiling again
> I hope this time with settings to pull the libpath correctly.

Once you got Octave built completely using native MingW/MXE and have
documented it, we might continue hunting down and weeding out unneeded
dependencies. libodbc++/postgres/freetds and perhaps sqlite have already
been mentioned. During MXE cross-builds on Linux I saw several other package
names flashing by that made me wonder what purpose they would serve.

BTW last night in the qt.mk file I think I spotted a reference to unixodbc -
but it may be implicitly unselected during configure stage so it may do no
harm.

P.
----

I am running a modified qt.mk file at least for the native mingw build which
has removed the sql stuff
 if I get it working, and it doesn't break anything on the cross compile, I
will check it in.