Re: Google Summer of Code - LaTeX processing

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - LaTeX processing
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:49:46 -0400

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jun 20, 2013, at 7:57 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Benjamin Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2013, at 10:46 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>>
>> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Andrej Lojdl <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Error message is:
>> > get: unknown text property lineheight
>> > error: called from:
>> > error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/private/__axis_label__.m at line 30, column 3
>> > error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.2/m/plot/title.m at line 39, column 7
>> >
>> > This may be due to the fact that you marked the option as "hidden".
>> >
>> > Michael.
>>
>> Correct.  The hidden attribute means the command line has no access to it.  I had asked the hidden attributed to be added, as I had inferred he was working on the c++ side.
>>
>> He's working in C++, specifically modifying this to add a new parameter:
>>
>> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/0bf1d559b321/libinterp/interp-core/gl-render.cc#l2665
>>
>> But it appears you can't get a property by name if it's hidden, even in C++. The other solution would be to use get_lineheight(), but that's not possible as you only have a base_properties object.
>>
>> Michael.
>
> How will write access be prevented on the m-file side?
>
> It shouldn't be prevented, otherwise the property is useless :)
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I had the impression that a "hidden" property would not appear in the list of properties (e.g. in "get(h)"), but would still be readable/writable if you refer it by name.
>
> Michael.

My expectation is that from Octave's command line, "lineheight" would be similar to the text object's "extent" property, but be hidden like the figure's looseinset property (which is still readable and writable).

No. The "lineheight" property is intended to be controlled by the user, not automatically computed. The "hidden" flag is only because there's no equivalent in Matlab.

That expectation is because I've assumed that the line height would not be something the user has control over, but would be determined in a manner equivalent to what is now done for the line height for "interpreter" = "tex" or "none".

I've mentioned it at least 10 times before. The intent is to have something that is equivalent to the CSS line-height property.

Michael.